[DC3] permanent survey of community networks / data

Carlos Rey-Moreno carlos.reymoreno at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 05:44:55 UTC 2016

Dear Evelin, great initiative!

I'm working with my colleague Michael Graaf to map the ones in Africa. We
may not be able to provide such a detailed information about it as the one
that is included in the pad, but at least, there will be a list with a
brief description, location, contact information, and relevant documents if
someone wants to know more. We will share the results once we curate a bit
all the information we are gathering. Also bear in mind that in the
political context of some African countries, the least is know about the
community network the more chances it has to survive, so we won't be able
to list all of them.

By the way, below are the questions I've sent to those I know are (or have
been involved) in community networks in Africa. Please feel free to answer
them or refer me to those who you think can contribute.

--

*Have you been involved directly in the deployment of a community network
in Africa? *

*If yes, Can you please provide a brief description of that community
network? (e.g. how and why it started and when? how was it initially
funded? whether it is still operational and if not what were the causes for
ceasing its operation? how it has evolved in number of users and nodes from
its inception until now or until it stop working?) Please include any link,
or document containing more information about it. *

*Do you know any (other) community network in the continent?If yes, can you
please name it (them) and provide a contact details of a person working on
it (them)?*

*What are the main opportunities Community Networks approach affords in
Africa (if any)?What do you think are the main barriers that are preventing
a faster widespread of the Community Networks approach in the continent?*

*Could point to other people you know could provide valuable answers to the
questions above?---*

Thanks

carlos

--
Carlos Rey-Moreno, PhD
PostDoctoral Fellow University of the Western Cape