[DC3] Guadalajara Declaration and DC3 Report

Carlos Rey-Moreno carlos.reymoreno at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 04:57:46 UTC 2016

Dear Luca, thank you very much for all you work on the declaration and the
report.

The declaration does not incorporate the concern I raised  about the first
sentence of the preamble ( "Over three billion people do not have access to
communication infrastructure") being a potential source of discrediting the
whole declaration as it is not accurate.

While there is common agreement that there are only 3 billion people
connected to (using) the Internet, that does not mean that they do not have
access to communications.  For instance, the ITU shows that coverage for
both GSM and 3G networks is way beyond that number [1]. Other reasons may
explain this gap, affordability, lack of relevant content,
confidence/skills, etc, but not lack of access.  Thus, I propose, after the
input from John Dada in the same email thread, to rephrase that sentence to:
"Over four billion people may remain unconnected to the Internet, including
around a billion who do not have access to basic telephony services".

Regards,

carlos

[1] http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-D/Statistics/Pages/facts/default.aspx

--
Carlos Rey-Moreno, PhD
PostDoctoral Fellow University of the Western Cape