[DC3] RES: Guadalajara Declaration and DC3 Report

Steve Song steve at villagetelco.org
Wed Nov 16 15:39:58 UTC 2016

I realise it is too late now but I just want to re-register my concern
about using statistics that imply access without any context such as
affordability or accessibility.  Actual mobile subscribers in 2016 are
estimated at 4.6B against a global population of 7.4B.  This is without
even touching on the issue of users with two, three, and four SIM cards,
which we all know is widespread in poor countries.... because of
affordability.   I think the "2G coverage" framing serves the operators but
does not serve the people.

Cheers... Steve

https://www.statista.com/statistics/274774/forecast-of-mobile-phone-users-worldwide/
http://www.gsma.com/mobileeconomy/
GSMA say 4.7B but given these are industry statistics, I choose the
slightly more conservative one.