[DC3] Dynamic Coalition on Innovative Approaches to Connecting the Unconnected

Gui Iribarren gui at altermundi.net
Fri Nov 18 14:27:14 UTC 2016

On 17/11/16 20:07, Sharada Srinivasan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been an observer on this group for a few months now and have been
> amazed by the breadth of the discussions. This seems like a good time to
> introduce myself.
>
> My name is Sharada Srinivasan, and I'm a research fellow at the Center
> for Technology, Innovation and Competition at the University of
> Pennsylvania. I have a bachelor's degree in electrical and electronics
> engineering and a master's degree in public policy, both from
> universities in India. I work on a research project called 1 World
> Connected, which, as Carlos and Jane have mentioned, is seeking to
> develop case studies of different projects across the world that are
> engaged in connecting the unconnected. I do so by desk research and
> where possible, conducting interviews with pioneers of such projects.
> Community networks are one of our areas of focus, but the project also
> looks at other supply-side solutions such as TVWS deployments and rural
> ISPs, as well as demand-side initiatives such as those focused on
> digital literacy and local content development. We have an initial
> catalog of all such initiatives that we want to build case studies of
> over here: https://goo.gl/rZLsWN, and I am working steadily to build
> this out over the course of the next year. Indeed, you will notice that
> a number of the initiatives on the list are community networks, and I
> look forward to engaging with people on this list for the same at the IGF.

I'm amused by the column "Demand/Supply", I think that's a good example
that gives this feeling about difference of perspectives ;)

I mean, at least some of the community networks listed (that I know,
like guifi.net, funkfeuer, freifunk) would not consider themselves
simple "Suppliers", or in the best case "demanders that are supplying
themselves", promoting local contents and such. So they would be on both
sides of that question.

But in general, the research project doesn't sound narrow-minded at all,
so I imagine you'll have fruitful exchanges with the DC3

Cheers!

Gui