[DC3] an Internet for the poor vs. empowering the people

Bob Frankston Bob19-0501 at bobf.frankston.com
Sun Nov 20 05:07:57 UTC 2016

I completely agree.

-----Original Message-----
From: dc3-bounces at listas.altermundi.net
[mailto:dc3-bounces at listas.altermundi.net] On Behalf Of Nicolás Echániz
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2016 21:06
To: dc3 at listas.altermundi.net
Subject: [DC3] an Internet for the poor vs. empowering the people

During my participatin in the WEF meeting that I was invited to, I came up
with this concept that I believe must be a strong point in our strugle
forward in order to differentiate what we are doing from so many other
initiatives to "connect the unconnected":

Facebook's Free Basics and Internet planes, Google's Loon project as well as
many government plans to bring "Internet access" to public spaces in poor
villages and disadvantaged areas are all initiatives to create an Internet
for the Poor. One where the people get a second class digital citizenship.

On the other hand, we from the community networks movement are empowering
the people to build meaningful infrastructures that create the local portion
of the Internet in a manner that is respectful of human value and not just
motivated by access statistics or profit.

I'd like to make this idea part of our Declaration.

What do the rest of you think?

cheers,
Nico