[DC3] RES: an Internet for the poor vs. empowering the people

Luca Belli luca.belli at fgv.br
Mon Nov 21 13:31:33 UTC 2016

Excellent point Nico!
To be added to the revised version of the Declaration, when we will consolidate all the IGF inputs.

Also, with regard to zero rating practices, list-members may be interested to read this article I published some weeks ago, where I stress that the main risk of zero rating is that it triggers a "shift from a user-centric, general-purpose network to one with a predefined purpose, thereby creating passive consumers of predetermined services, rather than active Internet users."  A phenomenon that I call "minitelisation of the Internet"

And my conclusion is that policymakers should focus on more sustainable and users-centric options, such as promoting community networks.

Here is the open access version of the article
http://internet-governance.fgv.br/sites/internet-governance.fgv.br/files/publicacoes/net_neutrality_zero-rating_the_minitelisation_of_the_internet_final.pdf