[DC3] FW: ** APPLY NOW for the Internet Society Fellowship to IETF 102 - Montreal **

Sarbani Banerjee Belur sarbanibelur at iitb.ac.in
Tue Mar 13 07:16:21 UTC 2018

Dear Jane,

Hoping that you are doing fine. Thanks for sending the mail on Tech
Fellowship to attend IETF 102 at Montreal, Canada.

I would like to apply for this fellowship to understand more on developing
community networks based on non Internet sources and Internet based
sources. I find this as a requirement from the community networks that
Gram Marg is working on. We are also planning to set up even more
community networks with a slightly different approach. The approach change
comes about as I am learning from my field experience. So the network
which we originally set up was community led and now with community
ownership of the network, it will be a community network in its true
sense.

Communities want to set up a network of their own and want to have
ownership of the network as well. They are tired of the frequent Internet
disruptions (which is common in far flung rural remote areas). They want a
network which is not so much dependent on the Internet. For example, they
want something like a Internet that works for particular hours of the day
(Internet on demand). The community also wants a local access network
which can serve as a repository. Calling facilities can also be worked
upon if they are connected to the same network. Similar other features are
what is needed in the communities.

I want to ask you whether I can apply for this fellowship or not. I am not
a technical person but yes do know much about the technical aspects from
my field experiences of setting up a large scale test bed. I am a PhD in
demography (with social science background). Please let me know. I want to
apply for this as building up community networks is what Gram Marg is
working on.

Awaiting your reply.
With regards,
Sarbani