[DC3] FW: Two Years Ago, India Lacked Fast, Cheap Internet—One Billionaire Changed All That - The Wall Street Journal.

Sarbani Banerjee Belur sarbanibelur at iitb.ac.in
Thu Sep 6 02:50:27 UTC 2018

Jio has created such a stir in India but it is interesting to see that
the remote, rural villages are still not covered by Jio. I recently
visited 10 villages in the remote tribal villages of Maharashtra, these
villages still do not have voice and data connectivity. These villages
are 4 hours away from Mumbai and this is their state of connectivity.
What I see about these telecom operators is that :

1) They prefer the highways to be connected. 2 kms away from the highway
connectivity slackens. This is not in all places but in a majority of
villages.

2) We can see devices put up on huge towers which usually has multi
tenancy. Why then the villagers do not have any connectivity? I think
the answer to this is because these telecom operators have a bare
minimum bandwidth at those locations. This bandwidth is insufficient to
cover the villages. In some places, I personally saw that Jio signals
are so weak and feeble. Barely can the villagers make phone calls and
video downloads etc does not take place at all. But all villagers in
these villagers have a Jio phone and Jio Sim card. I feel that it is
marketing gimmick of Jio for more and more coverage.

3) During discussion with some of the technicians in these towers, they
confided that operation and maintenance is very difficult in towers that
are located so far away from the city.

4) Jio's invasion has eaten up on telecom operators who were serving the
rural population like Tata Teleservices. Tata Teleservices closed down
and there has been great mergers in India. But the real scenario is that
Jio has also not covered the rural population. There focus is only in
the urban areas.

I feel the only thing left is approaching the local ISPs for bandwidth
coverage. They are eager to do it. But they lack the infrastructure
capability like other telecom operators. These local ISPs are not so
professional as the telecom operators also. But they are efficient and
hardworking and are truly interested in connecting these villages. They
even do not have a profit motive at the back of their mind like the
private telecom operators. As these local ISPs are one amongst the
common people like these villagers, they understand the needs of the
people much more than the telecom giants who look for profit always.

Thanks

With regards,

Sarbani

--