[DC3] Community networks, IETF/IRTF work, the GAIA WG

Leandro Navarro leandro at pangea.org
Thu Sep 6 11:46:36 UTC 2018

My comments in the list, as I guess it may be still relevant to the DC3
audience and not only to Sivasubramanian and me.

In general, if there are proposals related to what IETF/IRTF can do in
the area of community networks, let us know Jane and me. They can be
discussed in the IETF GAIA WG meetings or we can plan for a workshop to
discuss it elsewhere.

On 3/9/18 17:35, Sivasubramanian M wrote:
> Dear Leandro,
>
> On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 7:59 PM Leandro Navarro <leandro at pangea.org
> <mailto:leandro at pangea.org>> wrote:
>
>     Anyone else with ideas to discuss in the GAIA WG or IRTF/IETF RFCs
>     related to community networks?
>
>     On 3/9/18 15:50, sivasubramanian muthusamy wrote:
>>     On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 4:16 PM Leandro Navarro
>>     <leandro at pangea.org <mailto:leandro at pangea.org>> wrote:
>>     [...]
>>
>>         We also have the public Internet, where public specs and tech
>>         that can help. What do you think these specs (IETF) should
>>         pay attention to?
>>
>>         This is the list of active working groups:
>>         https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/
>>

>>     IETF could pay attention to interoperability of existing
>>     infrastructure, pay attention to aspects such as resource
>>     sharing, particularly Wireless Spectrum and fiber networks, both
>>     submarine and terrestrial. Also on convergence technologies - on
>>     various ways by which VOIP could evolve more like subscribed
>>     mobile (handset) telephony.
>
>     Thanks Sivasubramanian, can you elaborate a bit more on this? (so
>     we can relate it to existing or new work in IETF/IRTF) ?
>
> The existing infrastructure owned / closely shared by telecom
> (wireless) operators and submarine / terrestrial cable networks might
> be under-utilized or sub-optimally utilized in different parts of the
> world. This is also true of space missions, which at least
> increasingly share payloads, but here again, the equipments tends to
> be dedicated to imaging, satellite telephony, broadcasting, Internet
> etc. Leaving satellites aside, if we focus on cables, network
> computers and PtP towers and equipment, the resources could be better
> shared, between operators, not only between the major telecom
> operators, but also between content networks, IXPs, Community
> Networks, and other major captive users such as a large University
> campus or a Government / military organization.
Agreed, let me know if anyone is interested in contributing to this
topic. I presented some slides about this in the last GAIA WG (link
below) based on work guifi did for a specific rule for sharing
terrestrial cables, but that can be applied to undersea and other
stakeholders. Deploying a network should not be restricted to the major
telecom providers, but to anyone (according to some rules), as it has
impact on fundamental human rights.

> Spectrum sharing models could help the present licensees resell unused
> Spectrum, but some technologies and standards may have to be developed
> to enable licence holders use the assigned spectrum much the same way
> as submarine cable divides data streams between transmissions.

ISOC is about to launch a document about spectrum, including spectrum
sharing. However IETF is not focused on spectrum, maybe only in the
implications of it, since they tend to focus around the IP protocol, and
spectrum is not even digital :-) The IEEE 802 committee would be
relevant regarding standardization of sharing mechanisms/protocols.

Sharing seems to be hard for large orgs and human beings in general (it
has the overhead of coordination). The natural strong trend in cable or
spectrum owners is to keep idle resources for any potential future use,
instead of sharing them, even as a return to the nearby population.
Prescriptive regulation may break these barriers, since recommendations
about sharing seems to have little effect.

> The Convergence of technologies is not only about converging voice and
> data (phone and computer), but also broadcasting.  Could the IETF pay
> attention to the possibilities of merging tower technologies for
> phone, IP Telephone, Data, Radio and Television Broadcast, Two way
> Radio, Satellite Telephony (whatever is technically feasible) and also
> recommend standards for equipment at the user's end, to make the phone
> double up as a two way radio (for use in emergency situations where a
> sim card may not work) and to make the cellular phone work as a
> satellite phone?
>
> Another idea would be to build in the capabilities for a low power
> emergency / always-on-for-all-for-a-lifetime Internet (say at 144
> kbps) which will work free of cellular towers anywhere in the everyday
> mobile phone and correspondingly determine an architecture and
> infrastructure that would co-exist with the Gigabit Internet.

That seems related to a WG in slow wireless networks, for instance
https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/roll/ and perhaps
https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/lpwan/

and the more general group on https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/manet/

Regarding emergency situations I found docs like
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4542 and there was a WG now closed with
several documents produced:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/ieprep/documents/

In fact some friends are working on this topic, in cases such as the "I
am Alive (IAA) system".

Emergency networks and community networks both share the focus on
enabling all citizens under different circumstances.

Something like GAIAs RFC: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc7962/

> IETF could also break down the components of the 5G bundle, identify
> components (for example 1-20 GBPS bandwidth, the advances in P2P
> technologies etc) and determine what components are achievable
> independent of the 5G bundle, as for instance by building equipment
> based on 802.11 ac etc., and recommend open standards that match or
> surpass the 5G promises.

Someone will have to propose, get participants and lead an effort like this.

Thanks for your contributions, Leandro.