[DC3] Sarantaporo.gr video report - Re: WSIS Conclusions

panayotis antoniadis panayotis at nethood.org
Wed Sep 26 18:24:02 UTC 2018

Dear all,

For those interested, I have just published an improved version (with
titles and subtitles) of the "video report" presented at the WSIS
workshop "Community networks: How the unconnected connect themselves":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDanOsKu2js

More is coming on the more recent Sarantaporo conference and "CN
Encounter #1" between Sarantaporo.gr and NYCMesh. Only a few photos are
available at the end of the event's page:

https://www.netcommons.eu/?q=content/sarantaporo-conference-building-community-community-networks

P.S. The editing process took more time than expected but I have now
finalized my "setup" and here are some draft "guidelines for video
reports" for non-experts like me.

My suggested "filming" strategy:

- Take a few long interviews of the main actors of an event using a tripod
- Take short clips during the event of short duration 20s-1min, with the
camera at hand (inform people at the beginning that you are filming and
don't hesitate to go "close" to the action)
- Overlay the interviews with related short scenes from the events that
match what is being said in the interview

As for the (free) software required, after a lot of researching I
concluded to the following (I am using ubuntu):

- kdenlive for editing: https://kdenlive.org/en/
- aegisub for subtitles: http://www.aegisub.org/
- handbrake for hardcoding the subtitles with the video:
https://handbrake.fr/