Hi everyone,

I want to share this article with you all about ending energy poverty and what is needed to address electrification. I particularly liked this paragraph (emphasis mine):

"The mobile phone revolution is often cited as an example that can be replicated for energy. But mobile communications technology actually exemplifies the need for high-energy systems. Charging phone batteries accounts for less than 1 percent of the energy required for a smartphone to operate. The other 99 percent is needed by the wider economy to manufacture the phone, and to run the cell towers and data centers that enable the phone to function. The mobile phone is a high-energy technology masquerading as a low-energy one."