seems like a good resource
On 20/01/17 13:21, dc3-request(a)listas.altermundi.net wrote:
> Send DC3 mailing list submissions to
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of DC3 digest..."
> Today's Topics:
> 1. Re: Minutes Today's Call (Steve Song)
> 2. Re: CN recent news articles (Nicolas Pace)
> 3. CN Social accounts for Global Voices (Nicolas Pace)
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 09:34:45 -0400
> From: Steve Song <steve(a)villagetelco.org>
> To: Dynamic Coalition on Community Connectivity
> Subject: Re: [DC3] Minutes Today's Call
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> FWIW, in terms of tools, I am impressed by what I have seen of
> https://cryptpad.fr so far.
> Cheers... Steve
> On 20 January 2017 at 05:19, Michael Oghia <mike.oghia(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Luca, all:
>> I formatted the notes on MS Word and printed to PDF. There is at least one
>> action item we need to follow up on:
>> *"we need to decide if item 4 of the Declaration will be a separate
>> document or not."*
>> Also, I added text about taking into account how to organize resources in
>> different languages.
>>> On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 1:59 AM, Luca Belli <luca.belli(a)fgv.br> wrote:
>>>> Hi all,
>>>> Here are the minutes of today?s call.
>>>> Please add any item we may have forgotten
>>>> 1. Brief review of the *last DC3 meeting in Guadalajara*, at
>>>> University of Guadalajara, MX
>>>> - The meeting was divided in 4 segments: training, policy, technical and
>>>> 2. *Resources and material* on the DC3 website (
>>>> www.comconnectivity.org )
>>>> - The web page for resources and material on CNs need to
>>>> be consolidated;
>>>> - Resources and Material will be classified according to their different
>>>> type. E.g. academic publications, short articles, video, etc;
>>>> - For training material it may be necessary a separated
>>>> web page;
>>>> - It was suggested to offer pages for efforts that want to give an
>>>> overview of their activities just to make more people aware of them.
>>>> - A call for materials/resources will be launched on the
>>>> DC3 list;
>>>> 3. *CNs events*
>>>> - We need a an agenda of CNs events around the world, with tags or
>>>> different colours categorizing events with different natures (eg.,
>>>> trainings, multistakeholder workshops, policy conferences, civil society
>>>> - Upcoming meeting and events:
>>>> ? Workshop on Community Connectivity at FGV Rio de Janeiro
>>>> ? RightsCon (DC3 and Article19 presented workshop proposals):
>>>> ? Interdisciplinary workshop on DIY and community networking
>>>> (Stockholm): http://diynetworking.net/ifipnetworking2017/
>>>> ? EuroDig: https://www.eurodig.org/index.php?id=76
>>>> ? Stockholm Internet Festival: http://www.stockholminternetfo
>>>> ? Internet Freedom Festival: https://internetfreedomfestiva
>>>> ? Battle of the Mesh: http://battlemesh.org/BattleMeshV10
>>>> ? Nanaandawewigamig : http://fnhssm.events/
>>>> - We need to identify a proper tool for a collective agenda; it may be
>>>> better to avoid tools that require the use of a gmail account
>>>> 4. *DC3 Declaration*
>>>> - https://pad.codigosur.org/GuadalajaraDeclaration
>>>> - A final request for comments will be shared on the list. So far, the
>>>> Declaration has been open for comments and updated for more than 4 months.
>>>> - Open questions: we need to decide if item 4 of the Declaration will be
>>>> a separated document or not.
>>>> 5. *Publications*
>>>> - GISWatch 2017 theme will be community networks. Mike will speak with
>>>> Anriette to check if DC3 an APC can combine efforts.
>>>> - The goal of a possible DC3-APC cooperation would be to avoid
>>>> redundancy. GISwatch and DC3 Report have different format. Options for
>>>> potential synergies will be discussed in the DC3 list
>>>> - Call for papers for the DC3 report to be discussed on DC3 list
>> DC3 mailing list
I’m Marcelo Blanco and work in Article 19 Brazil in digital rights area. We are currently developing a project on community networks along with ANID ( National Association for Digital Inclusion) and Instituto Bem Estar Brasil. We just published a booklet that serves as a guide to brazilian communities who desire to build a community ISP. We had a session approved on Internet Freedom Festival to occur in March in Valencia, Spain. The idea of this activity is to present our work with the guide in the first part and then, give a practical demonstration of how an internet provider works. However, Rodrigo Troian, our technical expert, won't be able to go. He would be responsible for the whole second part. I was wondering if any of you guys will be at IFF and is capable of doing such a presentation, describing the equipments functions and the building process of a network.
One of the things we agreed with Global Voices was for them to retweet
and translate our social media content.
For that, we need to have a list of social accounts for them to follow
and be able to share our content in different countries.
It would be great for everyone to share accounts in this pad:
Please add also every organization you already know are talking about
community networks but still they are not part of DC3.
As you may have read, Global Voices (GV) have agreed to promote our
news articles through their networks (and ISOC to distribute the GV's
translated versions through their social networks).
For those that want to participate, I need you to send me two things:
* Most recent articles were your networks appeared. These articles have
to have clearance to be reedited and translated. The easiest way to do
this is to license the articles with a permisive license (like CC-BY-SA
* To handle some means of communication for journalists to get in touch
with you so they can interview you and publish articles about us.
There is something that we haven't talked about, but I don't see that
this would be hard to get from them...
If we need something to get published, some important news that needs
to be shared, to be able to ask them to do it with us.
Will work on this.
There have been many comments on the Declaration over the past weeks
here is the latest version https://pad.codigosur.org/GuadalajaraDeclaration
Please take some time to read it and share any further comments.
Tomorrow, during the call, it would be good to discuss if we want to include point 4 (Policy Affecting Connectivity and Community Networks) in the Declaration or leave it to a further document.
Tomorro,after the call, I will upload a consolidated version so that we could try to have a finalised text by the end of the month.
All the best
Thought that might be of interest for some people in this list...
---------- Mensaje reenviado ----------
De: Laura Tresca <laura(a)article19.org>
Fecha: 17 de enero de 2017, 15:27
Asunto: [RedLatAm] Proveedor comunitário
Estimados miembros de RedLatam,
ARTICULO 19 Brasil está contenta de compartir con ustedes publicación:
“Como Montar e Regularizar um Provedor Comunitário”. El objetivo
desta publicación es impulsionar la implementación de proveedores de
internet comunitários. El texto está dividido en dos grandes partes:
una se refiere a las condiciones legales para el establecimiento de un
proveedor en Brasil y la otra es una parte técnica que explica paso
por paso las posibilidades de como construir un proveedor en una
comunidad. ARTICULO 19 Brasil pretende extender el concepto de
proveedores comunitario con la distribuición de la publicación y con
workshops que seran realizados en 2017. La publicación está em
portugués, pero la compartimos por la facilidad lectura que tenemos
nosotros que hablamos idiomas latinos. Puedes descargar la publicación
completa aquí: www.bit.ly/guiaprovedores
Un gran abrazo,
RedLatAm mailing list
FYI everyone. Only 11 people responded, unfortunately, but while the sample
size is too small to be meaningful it is quite varied.
*From:* DC [mailto:email@example.com] *On Behalf Of *Eleonora Anna
*Sent:* Thursday, January 12, 2017 2:47 PM
*Subject:* [DC] 2016 Issue Survey Results: Now Available Online
For ease of reference, the Secretariat has published *all the survey
results in graphical format: *http://www.intgovforum.org/mul
Many thanks again to Jeremy!!!
From: Jeremy Malcolm <jmalcolm(a)eff.org>
To: "dc(a)intgovforum.org" <dc(a)intgovforum.org>
Date: 09/01/2017 23:15
Subject: [DC] 2016 issue survey results and suggestion for 2017
Sent by: "DC" <dc-bounces(a)intgovforum.org>
Today is one month after the IGF, and I have just collected the results
from the issue surveys which were held open until now. These are attached
as CSV spreadsheets. If any DC would like their results in graphical
format instead, please let me know and I can do this for you.
Despite better efforts at publicising the surveys and encouraging people to
complete them, the participation rate was still very low, indicating that
more work is required. The most responses to any survey was 25, for
"Connecting the Unconnected". The least, perhaps surprisingly, was for
"Internet Rights and Principles", with only 4. Most of the other DCs had
around 10 responses. These do not include the paper surveys, for which the
response rate was even more dismal (averaging less than 1), and which I
haven't even bothered reporting.
Factors that may have produced such a low response rate is that there was
no link to the surveys on the front page of the IGF website during the IGF
week or following, and that there was no email about the survey sent to all
IGF participants. On the other hand the link was tweeted from the official
IGF Twitter account, and the placement of our booth in the IGF Village was
quite good. So I would have expected a better response rate from the
outreach efforts that were taken.
Recommendations that I made in a previous email to this list (excuse the
- We could ask people to do the surveys as part of IGF online
- We must have a permanent link to the survey on the IGF website - the
link is very hard to find right now
- We could somehow "gamify" the survey by awarding points or stickers,
or making it part of an IGF quest
- We should place a word limit on questions - some were too lengthy this
- We should also strictly enforce the five question limit - one DC had
ten questions this year
- There seemed to be some confusion about the shifts at the booth, with
some slots unattended, and others where there were more people than
- Rather than a static booth which most people don't bother visiting, we
could have volunteers roving around with iPads to get responses to the
surveys (like the Imagining the Internet people did with their camera)
But a more fundamental rethink of the approach may be required. In my
view, there is a good match between the DCs' needs, and the Deliberative
Polling work that Stanford University has piloted in the last two IGFs.
This is because we have the material for people to deliberate on, but we
don't have an effective method to foster broad deliberation and feedback.
The Deliberative Polling team has the opposite problem: they have a method,
but they don't have ready-made materials to employ it on. Merging these
two projects seems to me like a perfect match.
If we were to do this, then in tandem, we should seek support from a donor
or foundation to fund this work, and should also secure the MAG's
commitment to properly integrate this work into the IGF as a mainstream,
supported, resourced and promoted IGF activity. (This in turn will require
that we have a strong advocate within the MAG.)
It will require a lot of additional effort and commitment, but clearly the
current approach is not working, so I think we have to do something. Is
anyone else on board with these ambitious plans for 2017?
Senior Global Policy Analyst
Electronic Frontier Foundation
Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161
:: Defending Your Rights in the Digital World ::
Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2016/11/27/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: 75D2 4C0D 35EA EA2F 8CA8 8F79 4911 EC4A EDDF
1122[attachment "Accessibility and Disability.csv" deleted by Eleonora Anna
MAZZUCCHI/UNOG/GVA/UNO] [attachment "Blockchain Technologies.csv" deleted
by Eleonora Anna MAZZUCCHI/UNOG/GVA/UNO] [attachment "Child Online
Safety.csv" deleted by Eleonora Anna MAZZUCCHI/UNOG/GVA/UNO] [attachment
"Community Connectivity.csv" deleted by Eleonora Anna
MAZZUCCHI/UNOG/GVA/UNO] [attachment "Core Internet Values.csv" deleted by
Eleonora Anna MAZZUCCHI/UNOG/GVA/UNO] [attachment "Gender and Internet
Governance.csv" deleted by Eleonora Anna MAZZUCCHI/UNOG/GVA/UNO]
[attachment "Connecting the Unconnected.csv" deleted by Eleonora Anna
MAZZUCCHI/UNOG/GVA/UNO] [attachment "Internet and Climate Change.csv"
deleted by Eleonora Anna MAZZUCCHI/UNOG/GVA/UNO] [attachment "Internet of
Things.csv" deleted by Eleonora Anna MAZZUCCHI/UNOG/GVA/UNO] [attachment
"Internet Rights and Principles.csv" deleted by Eleonora Anna
MAZZUCCHI/UNOG/GVA/UNO] [attachment "Net Neutrality.csv" deleted by
Eleonora Anna MAZZUCCHI/UNOG/GVA/UNO] [attachment "Public Access in
Libraries.csv" deleted by Eleonora Anna MAZZUCCHI/UNOG/GVA/UNO] [attachment
"signature.asc" deleted by Eleonora Anna MAZZUCCHI/UNOG/GVA/UNO]
DC mailing list
Hi All –
I am pretty sure that many of you are aware of this meeting, but I wanted to circulate.
Internet Society | www.internetsociety.org
From: gaia <gaia-bounces(a)irtf.org> on behalf of Arjuna Sathiaseelan <arjuna.sathiaseelan(a)cl.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 6:48 AM
To: gaia <gaia(a)irtf.org>
Subject: [gaia] GAIA Community Networks: Sustainability & Regulation Workshop
Please find the program for the GAIA workshop in Cambridge (Jan 26, 27).
The room is FW26:
Maps and Directions: https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/maps/
Jane Coffin (ISOC)
Session 1 Connectivity
Christopher Yoo (Univ of Pennsylvania)
Sustainability Metrics for Connecting the Unconnected
Arzak Khan (Internet Policy Observatory Pakistan)
Close The Digital Gap from Pakistan
Steve Song (NSRC)
Towards an Open Telecom Data Agenda
Session 2 Community Networks
Leandro Navarro (UPC)
Community connectivity: networking infrastructure and connectivity for billions
Roger Baig (Guifi.net)
Net4all: training for the development and consolidation of community networks
Sarantaporo's sustainability issues and current efforts
Session 3 Regulation
Ivy Hoetu (NCA Ghana)
Spectrum Regulations in Ghana
Oliver Holland (KCL)
UK TV White Space Trials and Observations
Michael Calabrese (Wireless Future Program, OTI)
Open Spectrum in the US
Session 4 Community networks
Carlos Rey Moreno (UWC)
Results of mapping Community Network Initiatives in Africa
Renato Lo Cigno (Uni Trento)
Community Networks & Spectrum Regulations: Analysis of Different Solutions
Session 3 Community Networks Case Studies
Rafael Diniz (Sao Paulo State University)
Traditional and indigenous communities building local autonomous connectivity in the Amazon Rain Forest using Digital Radio in the High Frequency band
Kanchana Kanchanasut (Asian Institute of Technology)
Taknet: Community networks in Thailand
Euan Miller (Ensemble)
Session 4 Infrastructure
Marco Zennaro (ICTP)
Identifying TVWS with low-cost tools
Yehia El Khatib (Lancaster Uni)
Grape Cluster and Delivering Fog Computing for Development
Amreesh Phokeer (AFRINIC)
Inethi.net: A localized hybrid TVWS-WiFi and cloud services network
Session 5 Infrastructure
Andres Arcia Moret (Univ of Cambridge)
Efficient information dissemination in remote independent communities with ICN
David Orr (short talk) ( Univ of Cambridge)
Conversations in the Cloud:Harnessing the Power of Community Cloud Networks
Josephine Milza (short talk) (Tunapanda)
Offline education content provisioning in rural slums in Kenya
Gareth Tyson (QMUL)
Who's fiddling with my bits?
Session 6 Community networks
Small group discussions
SHARING LESSONS AND PLANS FOR COLLABORATION
N4D Lab: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/n4d