I hope you had nice trips back home after the IGF. (apologies for the long email)
This is the first email to organise the future work of the IGF Dynamic Coalition on
First of all a couple of words on what are IGF Dynamic Coalitions (DCs).
Along workshops, DCs represent the structural elements of the IGF: they are
self-organised, issue-specific groups comprising members of various stakeholder groups.
The requirements for formulating a Dynamic Coalition:
• An Action Plan
• A mailing list
• The contact person
• Representatives from at least three stakeholder groups (i.e. Civil
society; Private sector; Technical community; Academic community; Governments;
• Setting up a webpage or a blog is highly recommended.
After the IGF workshop on Community Networks, you expressed your interest for the
initiative. This email is to start discussing together how to shape our action plan.
I have prepared this pad, so that everyone can make suggestions on what points should we
Our goals could be the following (please do not hesitate to modify using the pad):
* Identify good open-access readings that may be useful to communicate to non-techies
what CN are and how do they work;
* Mapping existing CN and try to foster communication amongst them;
* Identify models of CN (e.g. rural CN, urban CN, etc.) and best practices that can
make them particularly efficient and resilient both from a technical and organisational
* Identify best practices and worst practices as regards national policies that
facilitate or hinder the deployment of community networks.
* Consolidate and publish all this ideas into some ‘Community Network Guidelines/Best
practices’ to be presented at the next IGF and divulgated on the future DC3 website.
Thanks to Nicolas, we already have a mailing-list! (many thanks Nicolas!!!)
Besides English, I think it would be fair to allow people to communicate in Spanish or
Portuguese in order to be as inclusive as possible. What do you think?
The following persons expressed their interest in the DC3 (feel free to state to which IGF
stakeholder group you would like to be associated):
• Bob Frankston
• Nicolás Echániz
• Ritu Srivastava
• Janara Sousa
• Otavio Vinhas
• Catherine Middleton
• email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> please state your name :)
• email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> please state your name :)
• Lee Hibbard
• Frédéric Donck
• Diego Vicentin
• Nathalia Foditsch
• email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> also please state your name
• Luca Belli
• Jamila Venturini
• Kevin Bankston
I would be honoured to act as contact person/coordinator and I would love if anyone else
wanted to share this task with me as co-coordinator(s).
Just to provide some info regarding myself, I have been participating to the IGF over the
past 5 years, I have worked for the IGF Secretariat and I have funded/coordinated two DCs
(DC on Net Neutrality and on Platform Responsibility). I was previously working for the
Council of Europe Internet Governance Unit and I am now researcher at Center for
Technology and Society at FGV, Rio de Janeiro. My work is to produce research advising
policy people on how to take sustainable decisions.
I look forward to hearing from you and feel free to share this email.
All the best,