Solved. To figure out more precisely what wasn't working, I disconnected
the cable from Node A to Nodes B and C, and then my cell phone detected
Internet. So I decided it must be incompatibility between versions of
LiMe. Now we've upgraded all three nodes, and the phones detect the
A case study in what not to do: halfway upgrade a network and think that
it's broken, when it just needs to have the rest of the nodes upgraded.
On 05/12/2018 02:24 PM, Patricio Gibbs wrote:
In our network there are three nodes in a chain
connected via cable
(UTP). Let's call the gateway node A -- it connects via Ubiquiti
antennas to a VDSL modem (which should change to a fiber optic
connection this month).
The nodes were all running LiMe 16.07. Today I flashed node A with LiMe
17.06 (made with Chef, full LibreMesh, tl-wdr3500-v1).
Now some Android phones connect to the wifi, detect no Internet, and
automatically disconnect, and this happens on all the nodes (B and C are
still running 16.07). After trying to connect for a while (maybe 15 or
30 minutes), some of these phones detect Internet and stay connected,
while others never detect Internet. Other phones detect Internet
immediately and work fine. Computers (GNU/Linux and Windows) detect
Looking at LuCI for node A, only itself appears in the Mesh Nodes list,
even when people are connected to Internet via node C. Accessing node B
and C LuCI works (via casadiego.lan and casafaby.lan), and in their mesh
nodes lists, only they appear, not node A.
All this didn't happen before upgrading node A.
I disabled 5 of the 6 wifi networks on node A because I thought there
might be a problem with all the extra wifi networks, but that didn't help.
I could upgrade nodes B and C to LiMe 17.06 and see if that makes
everything work again, since it seems that there's something
incompatible about nodes running different versions of LiMe, but I'd
rather just revert to LiMe 16.07 until someone can explain this
malfunction and promise that my phone will detect the Internet
connection if I upgrade all nodes.
However, I can't find the .bin files to flash node A, and the backup I
make of node B isn't a .bin file. If I could find those old files, I
would also happily test 17.06 on all the nodes, but I can't find any
.bin files of LiME 16.07.
I could also try modante's solution to a different problem, "manually
running the script /etc/watchping/wan-ok.d/bmx6-gw", but it seems
different than this problem.
lime-users mailing list